More strife in Iraq. U.S. financial system in crisis. Rice prices soar.
None of these headlines will matter a bit, though, if two men pursuing a lawsuit in a court in Hawaii turn out to be right. They think a giant particle accelerator that will begin smashing protons together outside Geneva this summer might produce a black hole that will spell the end of the Earth - and maybe the universe.
From the International Herald Tribune article, Try this headline: Black Hole Eats Earth.
I love how remarkably blasé the IHT is about that.
But I'm adding it to my list of "thing that will cause an apocalypse, possibly around December 2012."
And if you're laughing because you think I don't actually have a list...think again. I started it in Geography on Thursday when I added "a change in the magnetism of the poles." It would literally cause airplanes to fall out of the sky.
So if you're curious...
Things That Will Cause an Apocalypse, Possibly Around December 2012:
- Asteroid colliding with Earth (that's an easy one)
- Change in magnetism of the poles
- Change in speed of Earth's rotation (we'd be so fucked)
- Black hole from particle accelerator (apparently)
- Something massive to do with the changing of the Mayan calendar from the fifth world to the sixth
- Nuclear holocaust (and resulting nuclear winter, another gimme)
Sadly (and morbidly), I think I'm going to be pretty disappointed if the world doesn't come to an end then. It'll be Y2K all over again. And not the cool, Family Guy version.